When the calendar told me that it was August, my mind focused on various dates –
- August 3 My sister in law’s birthday, also the 4 year mark of when we learned of Dave’s cancer
- August 3 – 7 Hershey/Philly trip
- August 11 and 13 need to go into work
- August 15 Anniversary
- August 16 – 22 Parker goes to camp
- August 17 Sam goes back to school
- My birthday
I woke up this morning thinking about how today will forever be the anniversary of the day that Dave and I got married. But it is not our anniversary any more. I would be lying if I said that I didn’t have a pretty big heart ache today. I am sitting here shaking my head as I type this. One year and two months later, I still struggle to believe that he is gone.
When I look at pictures from that day 23 years ago, I am struck again by the laughter and joy that permeated that day. That laughter and joy would serve us well especially through our darkest and toughest of days. I miss that, and I miss Dave. Every day.