Last year we celebrated Dave’s 50th birthday with an orange tinted party at the Torpedo Factory. In his honor we ate, drank, karaoke’d, and danced the night away. I believe we appropriately paid tribute to his zest for life and his desire to “put the F in FUN”.
Today should have been his 51st birthday. I had some ideas as to how we can remember him this year. Maybe tackle a few…
- The first one is an easy one – wear some orange.
- Turn up the stereo/ipod/Sirius and blast some Van Halen. or Barry Manilow. or show tunes.
- If you have “a few sodas” after work, raise your glass in a birthday toast.
- The kids and I are huge proponents of random acts of kindness. We don’t set out planning to do something, but we try to keep our eyes opened to opportunities. Maybe someone will cross your path today who could use a kindness.
- If you are planning on doing some end of the year donating, allow me to share two worthy causes –
Camp Kesem – https://donate.kesem.org/checkout/donation?eid=54867
There is an option in the drop down menu to donate to a particular chapter. Parker went to Camp Kesem at College of William and Mary but any of the camps could use support!
Dave Tremaine Memorial Scholarship – http://collegeaccessfairfax.org/donate/
I think it is easier to donate through the paypal link than to navigate the CFC site. College Access Fairfax will send you a receipt for your donation which is tax deductible. (Double win!) Our plan is to give out at least four scholarships this year with the option to go up to six. NOTE: You can indicate that it’s for Dave’s scholarship in the “Add Special Instructions” area.
Finally, last year at Dave’s party I shared a quote from RENT. This year I think these lyrics from WICKED best express what I want to say.
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You’ll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend.
Happy Birthday, babe. Wish you were here.
PS In case you never got to witness it firsthand, here is a picture of Dave in all his karaoke glory with his partner in crime, his sister.